It’s all too easy to overindulge during the festive season. But it’s possible to revel in the seasonal treats without laying complete waste to your diet, health and waistline. Here are some top tips for staying in balance this season.
Overeating can be par for the course over Christmas, but it doesn’t have to be. Try:
- Dishing up your own food, ideally on a smaller plate.
- Waiting 20 minutes before going back for seconds, as this is how long it takes your brain to register that you are full.
- Make the most of the beautiful seasonal fruits alongside smaller serves of all those mince tarts, cakes and chocolate.
While it can be harder to eat healthily when you’re not in control of the menu, it’s still possible.
- Choose grilled or roasted meats, fish and veg over fried.
- Load up your plate with salad and veg alongside smaller serves of meat.
- Mezze plates can offer great, healthy options, such as hummus, olives and antipasto vegetables.
Excess booze is a problem for many at this time of year and can leave you feeling cranky, dehydrated and reaching for greasy, starchy food fixes.
- Plan some great non-alcoholic options this season, like beautiful mocktails using fresh summer fruits.
- Keep lots of mineral water on hand.
Make sleep and exercise a priority
Don’t skip your exercise routine just because you’re on holiday. You’ll actually enjoy the holidays, and the company of your loved ones, much more if you’re feeling well rested and energetic.
- Plan a big walk or workout before or after big meals. Besides combatting the extra calories it’ll keep you feeling happy and positive.
- Leave the car at home and walk to events wherever possible.
- Make family exercise a part of the holiday fun with games, sports and, of course, lots of beach swims.
- Opt for drinks with soda water, rather than tonic or soft drink mixes, as they’ll reduce sugar and help keep you hydrated.
- Go for low-carb beers.
Wishing you a safe, healthy and happy holiday from the team at IAS!
Protect your health with AIA Vitality
AIA Vitality is an award-winning health and wellbeing program that rewards you for making healthy choices. Call us on (02) 8268 2900 to find out more.